Thank you for taking time to help this lost dog or cat find its owners! If possible, please hold him or her in a safe location while you take steps to help it on its way.
Visit the Chatham Sheriff’s Office Animal Resource Center (shelter) website, Lost and Found area, to fill out a found pet form. You may also call them at 919-542-7203.
Depending on your location, contact other area shelters such as Orange County at 919-942-7387, Durham APS at 919-560-0640, Wake County at 919-212-7387, Alamance/Burlington at 336-578-1386, Lee County at 919-776-7446.
Contact local veterinarian offices to let them know about the found pet. An easy way to find them is to type “veterinary offices near me” in Google.
Take the pet to a local vet or shelter to be scanned for a microchip.
Get the Word Out Online
- Go to 24PetConnect, enter your zip code and click on Lost My Pet
- Chatham County NC Lost, Found Adoptable Pets
- Lost and Found Pets of Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, NC
- Lost and Found Pets of the Triangle
- Lost and Found Pets of North Carolina
- Lost and Found Dogs – North Carolina
- Chatham Chatlist You will need to join first. Then post to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Craigslist (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill > Community > Lost and Found)
- Triangle Lost Pets Covers Chatham, Durham, Franklin, Granville, Harnett, Johnston, Orange, Person, Wake counties
- Pet FBI
- Lost My Doggie
Beware of dishonest people
You may be contacted by someone who claims to own the pet, but is secretly planning to sell it to a research lab, or to use it for other cruel purposes. To prevent this from happening, omit a distinguishable trait about the pet from your ads or flyer that only the real owner would know.
If the owner is not found, we hope you will continue to foster him or her until you find a kind person to adopt the pet.
CARE may be able to help with additional suggestions. Get in touch with us via email or by calling 919-542-5757.